Monday, July 28, 2014

Great Sand Dunes National Park


Last Monday Mike and I headed out to Great Sand Dunes National Park. A few people at work had talked about and said it was definitely worth checking out. It's only about two hours away from our house so Mike and I added it to our Colorado bucket list and I'm SO glad that we did! This place was awesome! There are huge beautiful mountains surrounding these massive desert-like sand dunes.


We arrived and checked out the visitor center, then went to the campground and got our tent all situated.


By then it was early afternoon and too hot in the day to climb the sand dunes (they reach 140 degrees in the middle of the day!). So we decided to climb a short trail up to Zapata Falls, which is a small waterfall located in a recreation area just outside the park.






After getting back from Zapata Falls we made lunch and hung around our campsite. Then it got overcast and rained a bit. By then it was about 4:00 and we decided it was cool enough out to climb the dunes. Where we live in Trinidad, CO it is just over 6,000 feet above sea level. It took me quite a while to get used to the elevation change (I'm still not sure I've completely adjusted). Great Sand Dunes National Park is over 8,000 feet above sea level...let's just say elevation change is not my friend. At higher elevations I get out of breath and tired SUPER easily, however, it doesn't appear to bother Mike at all (how annoying). So what I'm trying to get at is the climb up the sand dunes was REALLY HARD! There were two different points were I thought I was done and told Mike he could keep climbing without me (he was determined to get to the top). However, after I rested a bit my energy would come back and I could keep going. Eventually I caught up with Mike and we finished climbing to the top together. I'm so glad I made it to the very top! The view was incredible and it felt like such an accomplishment. The higher and higher you get up the sand dunes the less people there are, so not many that start out actually go all the way. Luckily, the climb down is a lot easier. The entire hike took us just about two hours.





 A view from the top of High Dune.


 We made it!

We finished our day by making a yummy dinner and hanging around the campfire. We got some great pictures of the sunset and it was a clear night so all the stars came out. There were SO many and it was just beautiful!

This was an amazing trip that I can't say enough good things about, and Mike and I both agree we would love to go back. If you ever have to opportunity to check out this park, it is well worth it!!


No comments :

Post a Comment