Monday, December 8, 2014

DIY Clay Garland

 During Thanksgiving break I decided to try a little DIY project I saw on Delighted Momma's blog. She did a clay garland along her mantel that turned out really cute! It's a simple project with only a few tools and doesn't take too long either.
 I got a variety pack of clay because I knew I wanted a colorful garland. I used yarn to string the clay onto, but you could use pretty much anything you have on hand (waxed cotton cording, fishing line, string, etc.). You also need something to puncture your clay to create a hole going all the way through. I had a jewelry making tool, but there are also specialized clay tools that are pretty cheap too. I haven't tried it, but I'm also willing to bet a toothpick would work also. You just might have to wiggle it a bit to make a big enough hole to fit your yarn through.
 Start by breaking off a piece of clay and working it with your hands for a few minutes to soften it up, then roll it out into a ball shape. Mine are about quarter sized, but you can make yours to any size you like.
 Next, just pierce the ball with your tool to create a smooth hole going all the way through the clay.
 Lay your clay balls on a cookie sheet and bake per the directions on your clay package. Mine baked at 275 degrees for half an hour.
 After they cool, string your clay onto your yarn and hang it up!!


No comments :

Post a Comment