Monday, January 27, 2014

Homemade Banana Pudding


A couple weekends ago I was watching Trisha's Southern Kitchen on the Food Network and she made a banana pudding. I haven't had banana pudding in a long time and it looked so good I decided I needed to make this!

Trisha's recipe can be found here.

I did make a couple little changes in my version of the recipe. For starters, she put meringue on the top of her banana pudding. I'm not the biggest fan of meringue, so I left that out and just finished the top by crumbing vanilla wafers over the last layer of pudding. Also, when I followed Trisha's recipe, I didn't quite have enough pudding, so I ended up making another half batch. I have made the needed adjustments in the recipe below.
Ingredients:
6 Large Eggs
3/4 Cup Sugar
4 1/2 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
3/4 Teaspoon Salt
3 Cups Milk
3/4 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
30 to 40 Vanilla Wafers
3 to 4 Ripe Bananas

1. Separate four of the egg yolks from the egg whites. Add the additional two whole eggs to the egg yolks. Discard egg whites. You only need to save them if you plan on making the meringue following Trisha's recipe.
2. In a saucepan whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Over medium heat, stir in your 2 whole eggs and 4 egg yolks. Next, gradually stir in the milk. Continue cooking, stirring often, for about 10 minutes or until your mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
3. Thinly slice your bananas.
4. Spread a thin layer of the pudding on the bottom of your dish (I believe my dish is an 8x8).
5. Put a layer of vanilla wafers on top of the pudding.
6. Put a layer of bananas over the vanilla wafers.
7. Continue layering this same way ending with pudding on top. Crush up remaining wafers and sprinkle over pudding.
Enjoy!!!

No comments :

Post a Comment